Friday, August 8, 2014

How do you spell love?

I'm probably asked what I'm "looking for" in a relationship at least once a week - and I still don't have a good answer.

My standard answer is that I want something that makes sense. Something that can start off slow, but has the potential to grow into something lasting. Something that feels good. Something that just works.

But that never satisfies anyone. Either they think I don't really know what I want, or they only hear half of what I say. Sometimes people think I'm too vague, and other people think I'm asking too much.

The truth is, I'm not looking for a specific person, or a particular relationship. I want to feel special and beautiful, and empowered. I want to be content in what I have, and excited to find out what's next. I want to be passionate, and easy-going at the same time. I want to be completely uninterested in meeting anyone else - and  I want him to feel the same.

Reading that, I guess it is a little vague. Which, I suppose could make it tough to find. But the truth is, I threw out my "type" and my "rules" years ago. I promised myself that if I met someone, I'd give him a chance - until there was a reason not to.

So I guess what I'm looking for is just tough to describe. I'm not worried,  though - I'll know it when I feel it.

2 comments:

  1. Doesn't seem vague. Seems like what everyone really wants...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People seem to think I should have it narrowed down to a specific type of guy, with a timeline and everything. I guess some people approach it that way, and figure if they find that, the rest of those things will fall into place. I'm looking for the result first, and I guess I figure the details will just work themselves out. Leave it to me to do things backward. ;)

      Delete