Friday, April 18, 2014

Post it

I see these memes all the time. Graphics about having a great guy/kid/parent, instructing facebookers to post if they have one of the aforementioned that meets the listed criteria.

They kinda drive me nutty.

I'm not sure why. Maybe because they seem phony. Most women I know complain about their husbands and boyfriends in private, then pretend in public that he's the greatest. Or maybe it's because it's not an original thought, they're just sharing a post. Or maybe it's because the posts are, in a way, designed to make others who don't have those things feel bad.

The most recent one I've seen told people to share "if you have a wonderful man who is your whole world, who isn't perfect but is perfect for you, who works hard and would do anything for you, who makes you laugh, who is your best friend and sometimes your only friend, who you are thankful for everyday..."

I very nearly shared to my wall in honor of my cat. He's a guy who makes me laugh and is sometimes my only friend. Honestly, the only thing that doesn't apply is the hard-working part. He really doesn't.

I don't want to belittle anyone's gratitude for their awesome husband. A part of me just wants to point out that even those of us who are single can have wonderful people in our lives who are worth appreciating. 

Besides - even us singletons deserve corny, poorly-written, unoriginal posts to share.

3 comments:

  1. If it applies to you... Then share it... if it doesn't.. don't....

    It could be your cat.. or your very best friend (who's a dude)... I don't see a problem...

    If people are going to judge you.. frickin' let them... So sick of people and their internet balls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree with you more. The love of my life of over 12yrs, just jumped up on the couch with me & is purring away. I have some really wonderful friends but just sharing some post doesn't do our friendship justice. I need to be showing & telling my friends how much I love & appreciate them. When I marry Dr. Spencer Reid, then I'll post that crap & rub everyone's nose in it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete