Friday, May 30, 2014

Greener grass

I'm surrounded by couples. My friends are all coupled. I'm going to at least three weddings this year. My Facebook feed is full of couple selfies, pictures of new homes, kids, and all sorts of couple happiness. Just last week, my coworkers decided the whole office should get together with spouses for a "couples night" - and I realized I am the only single person who works there.

Even my TV show favorites are coupling off. Derek Morgan found a girlfriend on Criminal Minds. I'm watching Scandal, and even amid all the adultery and dysfunction, two assassins managed to go on a few normal dates before moving in together.

Then there's me.

The truth is, I have found so much happiness in my work and home situations that I can't even complain about my romantic failure. If I had to choose between finding the love of my life and achieving this level of peace and joy... I would honestly forgo a relationship.

I guess there is a small part of me that believes that might be the case. Maybe I am destined for happiness everywhere other than romantic relationships. If that's the case - it really is OK.

I suppose there's just a small part of me that can't help but wonder why. Why do others seem to get it all, and I have to choose?

Of course, there is always the possibility that they are choosing, too, and it's just not obvious to me. Greener grass and all.

I like to think things happen in their own timeline, and that love will find its way into my life when the time is right. I like to have faith that God wouldn't let me hope for love if it wasn't in my future.

Maybe I just need fewer couples and more cats in my Facebook feed for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment