Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dating savings account

I've joked that part of the reason I keep dating is because I'm often short on grocery money, so the free meals are helpful. It's only half a joke. Usually, a guy will pay for the first date, so dating is actually a very good way to save money.

But, I can't realistically expect that a guy will always pay. My rule is whenever I go on a date, I'm prepared to pay - so that really means dating has to fall within my budget, and if he does pay, I've saved some money.

So that begs the question - are coupons appropriate for dating?

My friend sent me this article from an interesting blog in which the author is seeking financial independence. That's a fabulous goal; one I'll have to table for later in life, I think.

Anyway, the blogger asked her twitterverse what they thought about using coupons on a date. They didn't like it; the word tacky was mentioned more than once. People said a guy still "has to be a gentleman" and we all know what a lady will think if a guy slaps down a coupon on a date.

But what if it's the gal doing the paying? Would that make a difference? Or do some of you feel differently about a guy using a coupon? 

I'm undecided myself. Part of me says no, it's tacky and he should save the coupon for another time. Another part of me says I really want the freedom to do it myself - and fair is fair.

Tell me what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I don't like the idea of doing it on the first few dates, but after that I don't see a problem with it. I think it really depends. I mean you could end up having plans to go somewhere, and then come across a coupon for it or have someone GIVE you a coupon (mothers have been known to do this), so I guess it's not completely out of the question. I would be wary of the guy who suggests a place based on the fact that he HAS a coupon for it, lol.

    ReplyDelete