Friday, July 1, 2011

Spot a liar

Disclaimer: This is sort of a rant. But don't abandon all hope; I could totally end up making a point.

There is a lot of back and forth about what to do when you get a message on a dating site, and you're just not interested. Do you ignore the message, and hope the person isn't one of those aggressive, stalker types? Or do you respond with a polite "Thanks, but no thanks?"

I'm honestly okay with either. More honesty: I've done both.

The one thing I don't think is okay? Lame, half-assed lies that are easily seen through. Not only are they a waste of the time I took to read your email, they're an insult to my intelligence.

I've gotten two "thanks, not interested" emails recently. One was well done; he commented back to me that he hopes the Yankees pick things up after the All Star break. It's friendly, polite and shows he actually looked at my profile. Then he wished me good luck in my search.

The other guy responded by saying that due to unforeseen circumstances, he's decided not to date right now. Really? Something that drastic happened in the two hours since you viewed my profile - but you were able to drop what you were doing and reply to my message? Or was that because you've been signed on this site with your chat enabled for the last thirty minutes?

You might not think I'm pretty. I'm certainly not thin; or maybe you prefer tall women. Maybe you don't like my church or my job or my politics. Maybe you don't like my movie choices or my sense of humor. Maybe you're a Red Sox fan.

There are definitely a lot of things that I am not. But something I definitely am? Smart enough to spot a liar.

1 comment: