Friday, August 5, 2011

Dating myself

No, this isn't a post about me revealing my age. I did that a couple weeks ago.

I'm actually writing about exactly what the posts says - going on dates with just myself.

During a recent conversation, I mentioned to a friend that I went to the movies on a Saturday night. She asked who I went with, and I answered that I'd gone by myself. She responded by saying, "Oh, I never do that."

I wanted to ask why (but I didn't). She's not the first person to make a comment like that to me. I do understand the hesitancy - I used to feel the same way. When you walk into a room on your own, especially a room filled with couples and groups, you feel incomplete. What's worse - you feel like everyone is looking.

The thing is, once you get past that feeling (and I swear, you do get past it), going places on your own is okay. It can even be enjoyable!

More than that, it teaches you confidence - which makes you instantly more attractive to anyone you might be trying to...attract. You get to know yourself better, you have more to talk about when you are with others, and it makes you happier.

I mean, what could be more miserable than just sitting around your house waiting for something to do? Go out and find something -  a movie, a concert, a book store. Or better yet - make something to do! A meal at that new restaurant you've been wanting to try, a day trip to a town you've never been. You'll have stories and memories...and things to add to your "dating resume."

I've taken myself on "dates" many times - I'll just pick an evening, and go out to dinner and to a movie, or to a concert, or a museum, by myself. I eat what I want, when I want. I go where I want and stay as long as I want.

I really am a terrific date.

So terrific, in fact, that I've decided this is going to be a weekly thing. If couples can have "date night" with each other, then as a single, I think I'm entitled to a "date night" too. Except my long-term relationship is with myself - so that's the one I need to recharge after several nights of hanging with others

After all - if I'm not even cool enough that I want to date me, how can I expect that anyone else will want to date me, either?

2 comments:

  1. You know, it was kind of funny that when I started "dating" myself, that's when I started getting more dates from others too.

    I had a standing date with myself every other week where I would take myself shoe shopping and pick up sushi and watch a movie at home.

    I, too, was an excellent date!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only been to the movies by myself once but I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT! I got to sit exactly where I wanted, didn't have to worry about time constraints of others, it was fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete