Friday, August 12, 2011

Which is bigger?

OK Cupid has a feature on their website that allows users to answer questions as part of the matching process. Your answers are matched against other users answers to gauge compatibility, and extra weight is given to those questions you indicate have some importance to you.

I assume there's some science and a little math involved. I'm not sure. There might be some info about it here if you're interested.

Some of the questions are personality related; some are related to political or social issues; some are, naturally, related to sex and relationships. Other questions seem to be a test of intelligence; number series, spelling questions...that sort of thing.

Recently, I stumbled on the question: Which is bigger, the sun or the earth.

Do you know?

Here's the thing - it doesn't really matter to me if a guy knows, or even cares. But his response tells me a lot.

The answer is, the sun is larger than the earth. Now, I was horrible in earth science and astronomy, and I never pretend to be any sort of academic. But I am smart enough to know the basics - like the fact that the earth revolves around the sun. Any fan of Jimmy Buffett knows that, for cryin' out loud.

If sun's gravitational pull is strong enough to keep the earth in line, doesn't it make sense the sun is the larger of the two? I thought so.

So, if a guy answers earth, it reveals several things:
  • He may not have made it to the eighth grade
  • He may be very self-centered and think everything revolves around him
  • He lacks anything resembling common sense
  • He haa no idea how google works
....so let me google that for him.

It's an online dating site question, not a proctored bar exam. If you're not sure, look it up - or at least just skip the question. Then, at least, I am free to assume you just didn't like the question - and I just might talk to you long enough that you can keep me convinced.

"It's better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln

No comments:

Post a Comment