Thursday, April 26, 2012

No date? No prom

This has to be one of the worst things I've read. A teenager in PA is being banned from her own prom because she doesn't have a date.

Can you imagine? Her date backed out after she paid $95 for prom tickets. She's already invested money in the dress and the shoes. She's ordered the flowers. She's willing to go solo, but her school - Archbishop John Carroll High School, which is run by the Philadelphia Archdiocese - won't allow her.

When I had my senior prom 20 a few years back, most people wouldn't have had the courage to go alone. Definitely not any of the girls I knew. A few went with groups, and didn't have a particular date - but not solo.

I think this young woman should be applauded for her courage and her confidence. Instead, the school is holding her back.
For them to say that we're not good enough to go unless we have a guy standing next to us, it's just kind of sickening.
I agree. It is kind of sickening.

6 comments:

  1. That is terrible. I should send my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how sad that Pennsylvania is still in the dark ages... ignorance must be bliss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. She should be applauded, and instead is being made to feel that she's not good enough. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for her for taking a stand for all the proud, single ladies out there! Shame on her school!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally stupid. My high school had a girl-to-guy ratio of about 3-to-1, so there were a lot of girls who went solo or with groups. She a student at the school - it's not like she was the date of a student and wants to attend as a non-student. Prom is a rite of passage that all high schoolers should at least be entitled to. As if it wasn't heartbreaking enough to have her date ditch her...

    I wonder if they'd let her attend with a girl as her date.... ;)

    ReplyDelete