But thanks to these friends, even though I stopped displaying my relationship status on facebook years ago, I know they've added some options over the years. Out of curiosity, I looked at the options the other day. The choices, in no particular order:
- in a relationship
- in a civil union
- it's complicated
- in a domestic partnership
- in an open relationship
Seems to me that a few are missing. My suggestions:
- in denial (it's over, but you're not willing to let go)
- hanging on (he's left; you're convinced he'll be back)
- wallowing (you've accepted that he's not coming back, but won't admit you're single yet)
- bitter (you've admitted that you're single, but you're still angry)
- crush (you really, really like someone, and have therefore built a wall to keep everyone else out)
- stalker (your crush is two steps away from having a restraining order sworn out against you)
I suppose an argument could be made that any of these could be covered by "it's complicated." I would argue that if any of these (or any other "complicated") apply - you should consider just removing the relationship status from your profile.
Not that everyone doesn't appreciate the warning.