But, just in case you're the sort who likes to over-think this kind of thing, Urlybits (via the Frisky) has a flow-chart to help you with the analysis.
Thanks, Baking Suit.
Incidentally, if you want to know what I think:
- Whoever suggested the date, should be prepared to pay, and make a sincere offer to do so.
- I like a guy who insists on paying for the first date. It shows me he believes in a certain amount of tradition and etiquette.
- A guy offering to pay is also an indicator that he wants a second date.
- If a guy is chauvinistic, you'll know long before the check arrives.
- All that said...a guy not paying isn't a deal-breaker, but it will also be something I remember.
- Also, if the guy suggests the date - and the place - and then expects the lady to pay? That's just wrong.