Friday, June 10, 2011

Facebook: The dating site? (Part II)

Continued from here....

I got in my car after our date thinking things went pretty well. He hugged, me right? He seemed to like me. Heck, he asked me out.

So you can imagine my surprise when I woke up on Saturday morning to find a facebook message from BG that read (I'll paraphrase):
I really like you....but I just don't feel the spark I think I should feel for dating....I'm sorry I didn't say anything last night, but it is hard for me to say this kind of thing in person. I don't blame you if you want to unfriend me or never speak to me again....
Woah... Now, I had been doubting the connection even before our second date. I suspected he might have felt the same. I did really like him, and I would be lying if I said it didn't sort of suck to have him deliver the "Dear Jane" message.

But, in my book, BG gets big points for being honest. HUGE points, in fact, because it was admittedly difficult for him. He flat out said he liked me but didn't want to lead me on. If you've read any of the earlier posts on this blog, you know that I know a little something about being led on. There's no possible way for someone to gain more respect from me than by being honest, especially when doing so puts them in an uncomfortable situation.

I told BG as much in my reply. I told him that I was glad to have met him, and for the chance to get to know him. I told him that of course I was happy to count him as a friend. I told him that I try very hard not to set expectations when I meet new people; that way, I can make room in my life for the relationship, however it develops.

We've been chatting ever since.

Will we ever hang out again? I don't know. There's no reason not to, if there's something we both want to do. I hope that our friendship is something that will keep growing. Does it suck a little that the only normal guy in all of North America who isn't taken only thinks of me as a friend? Of course.

But I learned that it would suck more if he didn't think of me at all. So I have absolutely no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment