Friday, June 17, 2011

One last thing

The last date that I went on during my dating weekend from hell, really wasn't from hell. Well, not totally, anyway. And it is a funny(ish) story.

I was trolling sites and stumbled upon a picture that I recognized. I clicked to get a larger view, and realized that the profile belonged to a local blogger, who, as luck would have it, I had just started reading a couple weeks before.

So I messaged him - largely because I knew that my having viewed his profile would be visable, and I felt like a creeper, otherwise. I didn't really say much, just hi, recognized your photo, like your blog, yadda, yadda, yadda.

He messaged me back, one thing led to another, and he asked me to have brunch with him. He seemed nice enough - so I said yes.

I happened to mention this to another friend of mine, who I figured would know of this guy - and might even know him personally. Turned out, she did - and had heard some less than flattering things about him, particularly when it came to women.

I decided to keep the plans, and see for myself. With my friend's words of caution in mind, I met the new guy for brunch. Turned out, he was nice enough. But - just enough. He had an....attitude. I'll be honest - I didn't feel like it was pointed at women; I felt like it was just his view of the world.

He's got that bitter, I've been wronged, and I know everything air about him, and comes across as gruff and angry - even though he has no reason to be. He's someone with whom I could be friendly - but probably not much more. I got the impression that the feeling was mutual - since I haven't heard from him since.

Oh, but one last thing - I did run into him at a friend's event a week later. Awkward. It turned out to be okay, but I won't lie - I was glad I had a friend there for reinforcements.

No comments:

Post a Comment