Wednesday, November 13, 2013

30 Day Blogging Challenge: Day 29

Today's blogging challenge: Who is your closest or most special friend that you've never met, and what do they mean to you? How did you cross paths? Talk about how you "met" - Facebook, Twitter, an online support group, etc. 

Sometimes I think it's easier to connect with someone online because we tend to be more "ourselves" when we're behind the keyboard. We feel less vulnerable, and therefore more free to share who we really are.

I think that's one reason why online dating is my go-to way for meeting new dates. I am so bad at flirting in person (more to follow on that). I am always worried about looking foolish, or saying the wrong thing, or bursting into tears when I get rejected.

When you approach someone in person, the reaction is immediate. You have to stand there and let him say (or not say) whatever he's going to say. It's like time stands sill, and you're trapped in that spot - and he has all the control.

But when I email someone online, there's none of that. I type the email, click send, and then move on with my life. Either I hear back from him, or I don't - either way, I'm on to the next thing. Rejection is much more passive, and I feel far less exposed.

Plus, if I try to approach a guy in person, there's the issue of getting tongue-tied. That's not a problem when I approach online. I can type and retype the email as many times as it takes to get it right. But in person flirting? You only get one chance - and I usually blow it.

Oh, and yes...in case you didn't notice, I am cleverly (or not-so-cleverly) avoiding the actual question in today's challenge. Most of the people I've met online have turned into in-person friends...there are a few that have not. Yet. They're all important to me in different ways, and I don't want to choose just one.

No comments:

Post a Comment