Friday, November 15, 2013

30 Day Blogging Challenge: Day 30

Today's blogging challenge: Write a letter to your future mate saying whatever you want to say. 

Dear Derek Shemar You Lucky Guy You,

As I write this, we have not yet met (I hope not, anyway; if we have - boy, do you have a lot of damage control to do). So I thought I'd take this chance to say what I need to say while I'm still unbiased by any knowledge of who you are.

I hope that when we meet, you appreciate all that I've gone through, in an attempt to make myself the absolute best partner, lover, and friend I can be. I have done my best to turn all the negatives into positive lessons that help me improve and grow. I hope that shows when we finally meet.

I won't be perfect, and I hope that's OK. I have not been in a relationship for a while, and I know if/when I am again, it'll take me a while to remember how all that sharing and compromise stuff works. I'm sure you'll be worth the effort, but if it's all the same, I'm hoping we can have more than one TV, DVR, bathroom, laptop/computer, car, and closet.

I'm perfectly OK if we don't always agree. In fact, I'd prefer we not - it'll be so much more fun if we can learn from each other! However, discourse needs to be respectful. Just because I don't agree with you doesn't make my opinion invalid - and vice versa.

Along those lines - it's perfectly fine if you are a Mets fan - or even a Red Sox fan. But it is not OK if you hate on my Yankees. If you absolutely must, then I suggest you stop just short of hating on Jeter. If you don't, you may find our fairy tale romance coming to an abrupt ending.

Speaking of romance and ending - I love my cat. He stays. If you're allergic, I know the name of a good doctor. This is not a debate.

I don't cook or clean for anyone other than myself. I've met a few guys who seem to think this is still a "woman's job." If you're a good match for me, then I don't imagine you feel this way, but just in case you do - stop.

I hope you can forgive my cynicism, occasional doubt, and mild insecurity. It's been a long time, and there's a part of me that wonders if you'll ever show up in my life. When you finally do, I might worry or doubt a bit, but it'll just be temporary. Once I know I can trust you, I'll happily turn over my heart.

But if you break it - I know a guy.

Hugs and kisses,
GGS

No comments:

Post a Comment