Since this is a dating blog, the original email linked me directly to this post about online dating. Of course it includes some basics - using facebook and sites like 123people.com to search for information, as well as checking sex offender registries, and Department of Corrections websites.
Presented By: BackgroundCheck.org
What I found most interesting were some of the statistics about lying in online dating profiles:
- Men's photos are, on average, six months old; women's are eighteen months
- 81% of all online daters lie about their age, height, and/or weight
- Most daters think these lies are OK
I can honestly say I've never lied about any of these things. OK - so I'd never admit my actual weight...but I always describe myself as curvy, or a "little extra" and always make sure to include current photos, at least one of which being a full length shot.
I mean - the goal is to eventually meet in person, right? So why tell lies that will be so readily apparent when you do?
Anyway, I also liked the bit about how to detect a liar just from his online dating profile.
- Liars use more negative words (like "not" and "never")
- Liars use fewer negative emotion words (like "sad")
- Liars user fewer first person pronouns (speak about themselves in the third person)
- Liars write shorter personal essays
Tips noted for future online dating endeavors.
*Please note, I received no compensation for this post, and am not recommending the site or services. Just looked interesting, so I thought I'd share.