Wednesday, September 26, 2012

National USA Week

Did you know that unmarried single Americans have their own week? I didn't - which is why I completely missed that it was celebrated the week of September 16-22, 2012.

According to the page Facts on Singles, many Americans don't identify with the term "single" because they are parents, have/or have had partners, or are widowed. In this definition, unmarried means anyone who isn't currently married - whether they're divorced, widowed, or have just never married.
Citing from a 2010 study on American's living arrangements, 61% of US women (over the age of 18) had never been married. Another 23.8% were divorced; 14.4% were widowed. Leaves a very small percentage (less than 10) of women over the age of 18 who were married.
Unmarried women are a force to be reckoned with. 

I'm divorced. I identify with the "single" lifestyle because I make my own decisions. My actions affect no one other than myself - and I suffer my consequences alone. To me, that is the definition of being single, regardless of my relationship status.

My favorite part of being single? Knowing that I'm strong enough to stand on my own - and smart enough to know when to ask for help. I also like not having to share my bed every night, or closet space.


No comments:

Post a Comment