Monday, January 21, 2013

Shaken, not stirred

I went to my second Match.com Stir Event last week. First let me say - I love this idea. The whole concept of taking what is quite possibly the largest, datable community and inviting them to one, giant, single-friendly, safe, fun place to meet other datable people is genius. Genius! Kudos to whoever thought this up.

(By the way, Match, if you're hiring, I'd love to work for you.)

Once you register for a Stir event, Match is great about nagging reminding you that you're "on the list." I got an email confirming my RSVP, an email telling me the event was in two days, and then a third reminder the day of - with a link to the mobile Stir site, where I could (supposedly) see profiles of people who were already at the event. Also an excellent idea.

Unfortunately, my mobile carrier and/or the site were conspiring against me. I was unable to check the profiles before walking into the bar.

Which was really unfortunate. Knowing that the guy I blew off the week before was already inside would have been excellent information to have before I was standing in front of him.

Let me back up...

We actually met a couple of months ago. I winked, then he winked. I emailed, then he emailed. Then he fell into the black hole...and reemerged to taunt me about the Yankees (he's a Red Sox fan - proving not every guy on Match.com is ideal).

We spoke on the phone and were supposed to meet for lunch - and then he "lost my number." He emailed me again around Christmas, along with every other guy I know who is lonely romantic.

The weekend before the Stir event, he asked me to meet him for a drink. I already had plans to meet Engineer and some of his friends for a comedy show (to celebrate - Happy Birthday, Engineer!) but told him I would text him when the show was over.

I never did. Why? I'm not sure. I was tired, and not feeling all that well. It was later than I originally thought. I was all the way at one end of one city, and he was all the way at the opposite end of another.

All excuses. Bottom line - I didn't care to meet him, so I went home and ate cookies.

Back to the Stir event....

I hadn't even made it to the bar when I heard my name. It took me a few seconds to connect the dots, but I finally realized who was standing in front of me.

He smiled. I smiled. He bought me a soda and we sat down and chatted for a while. It actually felt a little like a first date. It was nice - but a little awkward, since we were both there having accepted an invitation to a singles event, presumably to meet other people.

Then his friend showed up. I got the impression he was Match-Guy's wing-man - and why would he need a wing-man if he was into me? We all chatted for a bit. Then Match-Guy spilled his beer on our table, and since the smell makes me nauseous, and since Criminal Minds was starting in a hour, I said my goodbyes.

I never met anyone else, because I was sitting with him the whole night. Not that it was a bad night - just not what I had planned.

All in all, not a bad night. Certainly could have been worse - I could have run into this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment