Tuesday, February 5, 2013

NaBloPoMo - First love

Today's writing prompt...
Isn't he cute? Whatever - I was 9.
How old were you the first time you fell in love?
Well...the first time I ever saw Ray Reyes from Menudo, I thought I was in love. He gave me butterflies, made me giggle, and put me in a perpetual state of happy. Turns out - that's really just a crush.

X was my first love. I'd had boyfriends before (one in high school, one in college, with a couple mini-relationships in between), but I didn't really know what love was until I met X. I had no idea how it felt to (temporarily) set aside your own personal needs, wants, desires, and make someone else your first priority. I also had no idea how it felt to have someone return the feeling, which I think is the key to being "in love."

A date once asked me if I was in love with Trooper. I said I thought I loved him, but that I wasn't in love with him. "What makes you say that?" he asked. I responded that while I think love can be one-sided (kinda like a crush), to say you're in love implies the feeling is mutual. It says that you're in it together with the other person.

I believe that true love is not a one-way street. That's why, no matter how I might seem to hate rejection (Really, who doesn't?) in the end, it's easy to accept that the guy who rejects me isn't That Guy.

Obviously, the first requirement for That Guy is that he feel the same way about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment