Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Best relationship prospects

In case you're wondering why I haven't been going on dates - there's a few reasons. This guy is one. For another, I'm just freaking busy. My full-time job and my various part-time gigs are taking up a lot of time, to say nothing of various volunteering commitments.

The other day, out of curiosity I clicked on a Plenty of Fish feature that directed me to my Best Relationship Prospects.
These users are sorted by the probability that you will have a LONG TERM relationship with them. Only users near by and who you had first contact with during the last 90 days are shown. The list has been generated by our resident team of PhDs who are experts in compatibility science. Our research shows that if you are in contact with 100 different users, 50% of the time your future partner is in the top 10, and 17% of the time the top user on this list is the person you will end up dating.
The person at the top of the list is someone with whom I actually did go out - once. We had very little in common, and though he's contacted me randomly in the weeks since, he's never asked me out again.

So, according the smarty-pants at POF, I've used up my top prospect.

But just in case that wasn't bad enough, I decided to review the top 25...
  • Four are guys who emailed me first, and I never responded.
  • Ten are guys with whom I exchanged multiple emails, but it never really went anywhere.
  • Six are guys I approached, who never replied.
  • One is this guy.
  • One is a guy who used to date my best friend. I've never even looked at his profile. He looked at mine once - and emailed me to ask me to ask her to contact him.
  • One of these "near by" guys lives about 1,000 miles away. As far as I can tell neither of us has ever emailed the other.
  • And last but not least... one of them is me. I created a male profile in order to test one of the POF features. It's hidden, and I've never used it to view anyone's profile. But apparently, I am very compatible with myself.
I wonder if being compatible with myself means I'm better off staying single? In any case, I might end up that way, since I've apparently used up my best options.

3 comments:

  1. Apparently, I am very compatible with myself...

    You
    CRACK
    ME
    UP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, just awesome.... I think their PhDs need to have their degrees revoked, or at least go back from some continuing education...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really funny. Good stuff to know thought I was wrong on my top prospects.

    ReplyDelete