Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Helpful Advice

I've gotten a lot of advice on how to survive this break up. I've been through a divorce - but that's a different kind of break up altogether. There's more than just the emotional change; you have legal and financial worries, your family dynamic is shifting, etc. 

This most recent break up is different. Our lives were not intertwined; we didn't share money, a home or property. We just don't see each other anymore. Still - I love the guy. We had fun together and I miss him terribly.  

One thing I've learned is to never discount the advice of friends. Even if someone hasn't been through your exact situation, she might be able to offer helpful advice or insight. As silly as they might seem, self-help books can be useful, too. There are also a ton of internet sites that offer advice, and communities where you can find  people who relate to your situation.

I found some really helpful sites and blogs that I thought I'd share here. 





Some of them a pretty current; others haven't been updated in a while. But broken hearts are as old as time, aren't they? Something that someone went through last year might help you now. 

The point is, we all hurt. We all suffer loss. All of us deal with change in a different way, but it's stressful for everyone. Never be afraid to ask for help, or to tell someone you're upset. If someone asks how you're doing, and you're sad - tell them. Be honest. 

You never know where you might find a new friend. 

2 comments:

  1. Also helpful - buy and read the book "It's Called A Break-Up Because It's Broken" by Greg Behrendt - the guy who wrote "He's Just Not That Into You." Great book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the abridged version of He's Just Not That Into You (it's like a pocket guide; filled with sage sound bytes - hilarious), and I saw that book, too!! I will go back and get it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete