Thursday, October 11, 2012

New-outfit worthy

"I can always tell when you're going on a date. You always look nice, but when you have a date - especially a first date - your outfit is new."

Mr. Ding-a-Ling - now even more appropriate
This observation (about me) is at least partially right. I do like new outfits, and I do my best to put together a really good outfit for a first date. If I start seeing someone, I go to great lengths to make sure he doesn't see the same outfit twice, at least in the beginning.

But I don't always buy a new outfit. I am slightly more fiscally responsible. Nowadays, I will only buy a new outfit if a guy seems really, really worthy.

Last week I met a guy on Plenty of Fish that I thought might fit the criteria.

He's ridiculously, out-of-my-league good-looking. He seems smart, and funny, and gets my humor. He's good-looking. He has a good, stable job, and says he's ready to find something more long-term. He has kids, but they're grown. He likes pets. He likes the wrong baseball team, but nobody is perfect. Did I mention he's good-looking?

He travels for work, and was out of town all week. We made tentative plans to meet on Friday. His suggestion. Earlier this week, he told me he comes back in the area on Thursday (I assumed late).

When I tried to confirm (with only two days notice, which I don't think is unreasonable) if we were on for Friday, he said,
"Depends on what time. I might not get back to the area until late."
Now - I don't even know this person. I'm certainly not going to call him out on what could be a legitimate schedule change or mistake on his part. Maybe he read his calendar wrong. Maybe he just found out about a stop he has to make on the way back that will mess him up. Who knows?

Doesn't really matter - if he is blowing me off, that will be perfectly clear on Friday. I will have lost nothing. He asked if I minded "keeping it open" and I said I would keep it as open as possible - but asked that he not leave me hanging. I'm not giving anything up by keeping my schedule open, so we'll see.

I don't know enough about him to know for sure if he's playing a game, giving me a line, or is being honest.

The one thing I do know for sure? He's not new-outfit worthy, no matter how good-looking he might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment