Thursday, May 19, 2011

Pepe Le Who?

So one of the guys I met when I shouldn't have been online was a real character. We're going to call him Pepe - in honor of Pepe Le Pew. Partly because he's from Montreal, Canada - and has a French accent. Partly because he was wearing a crap-ton of cologne on our date.

Pepe's profile specifically said he's not into the never-ending email relationship. You know - where before you realize it, you've passed the point where you'll ever go out and have basically become pen-pals? So, rather than exchanging a lot of emails, we made plans to meet later in the week for coffee.

I was early, and when he joined me, he seemed very nice. Until he asked what I do, and I told him - which led to him explaining to me what his ex-wife does for a living (we work in the same field). Now don't get me wrong - I know exes exist and I don't mind hearing about them. But on a first date? Within ten minutes? I made a quick mental note that Pepe seemed to have some baggage.

"So what do you want to do?" he asked. Uhhhh....wasn't prepared for that. We ended up going for a drive - turns out, Pepe is new to the area (about a month) and hadn't seen a lot of our city. We agreed to take my car, though he offered to let me drive his, which I later learned was a Hummer. Drat!

Side Note: I kept my phone in my hand the whole time and drove in neighborhoods where I had friends. 


As we drove, I learned more about Pepe. He is a contractor for the government. After his divorce, he took a job working for a government in another state, and his 6 month contract turned into 5 years. For most of that time, his daughter lived with him; she has since returned to Montreal. His son still lives there. He moved here on another 6 month contract - after he didn't get a job in Montreal for which he applied.

Screeeeeech - brake for the red flags. Of course this guy wants to get back to Montreal - who in his situation wouldn't? Pepe didn't even rent his own apartment here, so obviously this next move is already on his mind, and I don't blame him. He'd make a great friend, or "friend," if that's what I was looking for - but I'm not. There doesn't seem to be much point in starting something I can't finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment