Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Well read

Continued from here...

So, with all these great connections, and all the laughing and smiling - it really seemed like things were going well. If he didn't like me, he wouldn't have suggested dinner, right? I mean - he'd have known right away if he wasn't attracted to me.

And if he was feeling no connection at dinner, he wouldn't have kept the conversation going. I tend to talk a lot when I'm nervous, and I know I sometimes take over a conversation. I tried to keep that in check, so he'd have ample opportunity to end the evening if he wasn't feeling it. No need to waste his time (or mine).

But he never did. We sat there for two hours before he even suggested calling it a night, and that was just because I mentioned that they were cleaning the dining room of the restaurant. Two hours of non stop talking, laughing, finding little things we had in common. Two hours.

When we left the restaurant, I asked him if he'd like to get together again some time. His response?

"Sure. I'll definitely keep in touch with you."

I immediately took this to mean that he wasn't interested, and was just being polite. Which really made no sense to me, but I felt like if he was interested, he would have tried to "seal the deal." If he didn't want to make another date right then, at the very least I felt like he'd let me know when he'd be in touch to do so.

Was I expecting too much? Was I over-thinking the whole thing? One friend said I don't know the guy well enough to read him, and his advice was to stop trying. But isn't dating a series of interactions where we're trying to read each other - and learn?

So when do we know each other well enough to read the other person?

4 comments:

  1. It is a series of learning to read each other and getting to know one another, but at the same time if you catch me at a really busy time or when I'm stressed out, you'll get a different read on me than if I'm not.

    There were times I was in fact interested in someone but because of what was on my plate at the time I wasn't sure that I knew WHEN I'd be able to get in touch...just that I wanted to.

    Breath about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably should have emailed you on Sunday, rather than getting into trouble like I did. *sigh*

    Ah well. We'll see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I'll definitely keep in touch with you"???

    What the heck does that mean?!

    That said - CuteElla is right, of course. Maybe as you were leaving the restaurant, he was thinking about work or something else he had to do or maybe he was nervous ... who knows?

    I hope you hear from him. Finding a connection like that with someone is a really cool thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So have you heard from him at all?? Guys are supposed to be predictable, but lately I can't read any of them!

    ReplyDelete