Friday, March 1, 2013

Someone for everyone

Baking Suit sent me this photo. I think she found it on facebook. 

Two days later, a single friend texted that she'd seen the photo. It bummed her out, which I believe was the creator's intent.


I'm not even going to get into how mean and harsh this is. I've seen the woman all dressed up, and I've seen her in her more...natural state. Is she attractive? I don't particularly think so, and I'm sure there are plenty who agree.

But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'm "curvy" - a quality many men don't find attractive. Yet, I meet plenty of men who actually prefer my body-type to the thin look. Does that make me more attractive than my skinny peers? No. It means different guys find different women attractive.

Which is sort of the premise of life, if you really stop and think. I mean, we can't all like the same people, the same careers, the same homes, the same religion, the same lifestyles... This is life, not Stepford.

What's important to remember is that the guy who loves "Honey Boo Boo's Mom" (Mrs. Honey Boo Boo?) sees something in her the rest of us do not, which is a lovely thing.

It's also important to remember that just because she has a boyfriend, doesn't mean he's the boyfriend you want. There's really no point in making the comparison.

A photo like this really plays into a woman's tendency to base her self-worth on whether or not there is currently a man who finds her attractive. Personally, I think that's what needs to change. You can't always please a guy - so stop trying, and just concentrate on pleasing yourself.
"You're damned if you're too thin and you're damned if you're too heavy. According to the press I've been both. Its impossible to satisfy everyone and I suggest we stop trying." ~ Jennifer Aniston*
*(Yes I realize the point of the picture is about more than just weight...but the whole comparison reminded me of the JA quote, which I've always loved.)

No comments:

Post a Comment